Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Wk 2: Wimba Archive Blog

In watching the Wimba archive tonight, I am curious about the way YouTube handles the copyright infringement when random people create videos and use copyrighted music in them. I know before they would just take the sound out of your video, but recently I have noticed that they let you keep the music, but add a link to purchase the song from iTunes. I think that is a pretty fair alternative...but I creeps me out how YouTube can identify so quickly the music in a video.

When you were all discussion about the percentage amount of what constitutes "small amount" I got to wondering why the powers that be have not gone ahead and changed that to a more concrete amount to avoid ambiguity. As it is, I don't see how anyone can get into trouble with that vague of a law.

I would like to note that I was having issues with downloading my ebook also, but was finally able to get it this evening. I must say MBS has some very nice support staff!

Thank you Richard for bringing up the graduation. I was wondering about that since I need to get a flight soon. Are we all automatically signed up to be at the graduation? Do we have to let someone know we are planning on being there? I am assuming we need a robe and hat and such, how do we know what to get and where do we get it? I haven't have to be in a graduation for quite some time!

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At August 12, 2011 at 11:34 AM , Blogger jbb said...

The smart folks at YouTube/Google know that they are not going to have a very healthy service if all of their users get sued for copyright infringement so they try to work deals with the media companies to look the other way for big bags of cash. I think they had a deal with Warner Brothers around 2009/2010. When the timing of the agreement passed, Warner set about to have YouTube send take down notices and/or removing the music (if it was a music violation). After the Chris Brown wedding video went viral YouTube has attempted to work with artists to put up the "buy" buttons and let it go with that. So, you see that it's all about making deals and getting the right people to work with your project. Get permission and it all goes away.

I'm glad that the e-book issue was resolved. wonderful. As for the graduation info, contact Dr. Bedard at sbedard@fullsail.com with your questions. Enjoy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home